Return to FAQ List
FAQ 123: How to configure the SWMonDNSR ServiceCategory: Initial setup | Updated: 03/26/2012 12:33 PM
The SWMonDNSR Service is used to change the DNS Redirector configuration based on a key switch, other hardware dry contacts, or a network fault.
See WebRelay usage examples.
1) Install .NET Framework 4.x
2) Install SWMonDNSR Service
3) Make a copy of your dnsredir.ini file named dnsredir-backup.ini
4) Make a copy of your dnsredir.ini file named dnsredir-red.ini
5) dnsredir-red.ini will be put into effect whenever the keyswitch is put in the Red position, modify this to do what you want.
ExampleA: Use SimpleDNS= with an asterisk record to resolve everything to an "Internet Off" message
ExampleB: Use BlockedKeywordsFile= with just a . in it to block everything, see FAQ 5
6) Modify C:\SWMONDNSR\swmondnsr.ini with the correct IP and password of your switch hardware,
other settings have been pre-configured for use with DNS Redirector
7) Ensure your switch hardware is in the Green position.
8) Start the SWMonDNSR service
...or do this via command-line: sc start swmondnsr
When the key is put in the Red position, dnsredir-red.ini is put into effect.
When the key is returned to the Green position, the original dnsredir.ini is returned to operation.